At Comcast, we are proud to be a military-ready company. As we observe National Veterans & Military Families Month throughout November and in honor of Veterans Day on November 11, we are reminded about the digital divide within the military community, and the importance of connectivity for our veterans, service members and their families.
The latest: In the last year, we’ve helped bridge the digital divide for military community members in our Beltway Region and beyond – including awarding $20,000 and 100 laptops to The Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training (MCVET) in April 2023 to help veterans throughout Baltimore with broadband adoption and digital skills training. Check out highlights from the ceremony at MCVET here:
Why it matters:
Internet connections are a necessity for accessing life-changing resources including military benefits, navigating telehealth, pursuing education and advancing new career opportunities.
- A 2019 report by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) found that 15% of all veteran households do not have Internet access due to digital literacy, pricing and location availability barriers.
- That’s why Comcast is committed to bridging the digital divide – including installing more than 1,250 WiFi-connected Lift Zones in community centers nationwide, expanding access to digital skills training through Digital Navigator programs and driving awareness of free and low-cost Internet options.
- Comcast customers who are veterans or currently serving in the military are eligible for a $50 prepaid card through December 31, 2023.
- Comcast is also a proud participant in the Federal Government’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) – which provides veterans and other eligible people with a credit of up to $30 per month toward their Internet and/or mobile service.
- Thanks to ACP, eligible Comcast customers can get home Internet either through Comcast’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus at no cost once the Federal credit is applied.
- We have hired more than 21,000 veterans, National Guard and reserve service members and military spouses since 2015 and have been continually recognized as a top employer by the Department of Defense, Military Times, Military Friendly®, DiversityInc and VETS Indexes.
- Our Operation Old Glory program was started by military veteran employees as our way of honoring our nation’s greatest symbol – the American flag – and what it represents to people in our communities. Through this program, our dedicated teammates work together to replace worn or damaged flags outside homes and businesses at no cost to the property owners. Any home or business is eligible for a free flag replacement through this program, not just those that are subscribed to our services. We also ensure that all worn flags are retired with respect and strict adherence to military protocols.
Our efforts to help open doors of opportunity for the military community and expand access to digital skills training are part of Project UP, Comcast’s $1 billion commitment to advance digital equity. This includes a partnership with NPower to support programs designed to launch digital careers for active-duty military members approaching transition into civilian life, veterans and military spouses. Because their service never stops, ours won’t either in helping create a world of unlimited possibilities.