Comcast has announced the completion of a project to expand its Xfinity 10G Network to more than 13,700 additional homes and businesses across 200 miles in Christiansburg, VA. The expansion delivers the full suite of Xfinity and Comcast Business solutions to the Christiansburg community – including residential broadband speeds up to 2 gigabits per second (Gbps) and business speeds up to 100 Gbps.
The milestone is part of Comcast’s ongoing expansion in Virginia, where the company has invested more than $781 million in technology and infrastructure over the last three years – including upgrades to its local network.
“We applaud Comcast for deepening its investment in the Christiansburg community and providing residents and businesses with greater access to high-speed Internet and advanced broadband services,” said Mayor D. Michael Barber. “This investment in our core infrastructure will help get more of our residents connected while simultaneously continuing to attract new businesses and drive economic growth for decades to come.”
“We’re thrilled to be one of Comcast Business’ early customers in the Christiansburg area with a combination of Internet, mobile and phone services,” said Lutz Steindl, President of Lenzkes Clamping Tools. “It’s great to see Comcast further expanding its service in Christiansburg with fast speeds, a reliable connection and great customer support.”
Residents will have access to Xfinity’s full suite of Internet products, including the company’s Internet Essentials program that provides low-cost, high-speed broadband for income constrained households. Comcast also participates in the federal government’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which provides eligible low-income households with a credit of up to $30 per month ($75 per month on Tribal lands) toward their Internet and/or mobile service. Residents and businesses can check here to see if their address is eligible for service or go to the local Xfinity Store at 2475 North Franklin Place. Prospective customers can also call 1-800-XFINITY to inquire about service.
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s Xfinity 10G Network and Internet experience are powering homes today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect more than 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with the next-generation Xfinity gateways deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products and symmetrical gig speeds are coming to the first homes later this year.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” later this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network – that passes 60 million homes and businesses and counting. The company launched Storm-Ready WiFi, a new device that comes powered with cellular and battery backup to help keep customers connected even when the power goes out.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
“Access to advanced broadband is a powerful driver of innovation and economic growth,” said Michael Parker, Senior Vice President of Comcast’s Beltway Region. “We are proud to complete this expansion and provide thousands more Christiansburg residents and businesses with fast, secure and reliable broadband services that will meet the community’s needs now and into the future.”
For local businesses, Comcast Business offers a suite of connectivity, communications, networking, cybersecurity, wireless and managed solutions to help organizations of different sizes prepare for what’s next. Powered by the nation’s largest Gig-speed broadband network, and backed by 24/7 customer support, Comcast Business is the nation’s largest cable provider to small and mid-size businesses and one of the leading service providers to the Enterprise market. Comcast Business has been consistently recognized by industry analysts and associations as a leader and innovator, and one of the fastest growing providers of Ethernet services.
Comcast is deeply committed to advancing digital equity in the communities it serves. The company’s recent community partnerships in Virginia have totaled $43.6 million in cash and in-kind contributions to more than 120 local non-profits in the last three years. This investment includes the installation of 14 Lift Zones in Virginia, which provide free, high-speed WiFi service to local community centers to promote digital learning. These programs are part of Project UP, Comcast’s$1 billion commitment to advance digital equity and help build a future of unlimited possibilities and is the continuation of the company’s long history of giving back to communities where it provides service and where its employees live and work.